Monday, May 12, 2014

Updates

I thought I'd update you guys with what's been going down in my "so called life""

Let's go back to May 4th. Of course, it wouldn't have been National Infertility Survival Day without my period.Yep, I started my period on that same day!  However, this is the second month in a row that I have had a 28 day cycle and I am seeing that as a good thing; not to mention I knew it was coming, so it was not a complete surprise. I have the same symptoms every single cycle. It starts with a low back and hip pain, then the tender breasts, followed by the bloat, and then the lovely AF arrives.

Mike gets more excited about my regular cycles than I do! I asked him if we wanted to start trying again- using the temp method and ovulation strips. His response? "I am always ready to have sex.... until the forth day." HA HA! I am not sure how much monitoring I want to do since it seems to stress me out even more, but I am down to try - planning it around the symptoms I feel. I mean, we've tried the basal temp method and ovulation strips for how long now with out any luck.... all we can do it hope at this point.

Now, let me fill you in on my J. O .B situation. I decided to stick it out with the new doctors for a little longer. That does not mean that things have improved for me- if anything they have gotten more uncomfortable up front between the "office manager" and myself. I am a pretty outgoing, happy, friendly person who likes to make everyone feel welcome. When I talk with the "manager" I don't get anywhere. The other day I asked her if it was cold outside when she came back from lunch.... I asked because 1) she never talks unless spoken to and 2) there was another co-worker sitting up front with me and I wanted her to hear how the "manager" spoke to me! It was a real eye opener for the assistant sitting next to me... the reply I got was a very stern, uninterested "Yup". The assistant looked at me in awe; she later called me to ask if that is how I am talked to on a daily basis. The answer I gave her? Yup.

During my review my bosses told me how much they loved they way I interacted with the patients and that they were happy I chose to stay. They also made a comment about my personality that has left me feeling uneasy; they said I have a "strong personality". I am not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing. They think that my personality is the cause for my frustrations at times; that I get emotionally involved in both the gossip and or drama that happens in the office because I don't want to make anyone mad or have anyone upset with me and it also may be the reason I take things personally. Maybe they are right. But, is having a strong personality a bad thing?

Mike thinks she is trying to make me miserable so I will quit and that's not going to happen. I will leave because I want to leave; not because someone wants to push me out-- good luck, lady. That tactic won't work on this "strong personality"!

Ugh.
Anyways....

The seasons are changing and I love it. I am a total sunshine and blue skies kinda gal so I have been busy planning out our summer trips! We decided against the "luxury camping" for our anniversary because of the horrible customer service I received when trying to book our stay. So, instead.... we are headed to Glacier National Park for a camping/backcountry backpacking trip!! We have had the Zion and GNP on our bucket list and we have decided to start with Montana. People tease me because I have never been out of the country and my reply is this " America has so many amazing placed that I have yet to see, why do I need to leave the country to experience beauty and relaxation?"

Although, I am getting my passport for this trip- since we may head into Canada since we will be on the border which means a tropical vacation is just around the corner. We might try to plan a camping/backpacking trip in Costa Rica or Hawaii. I am totally fine with that kind of travel- I love being semi-adventurous! But, that will be a year or so away. For now, we are focusing on Montana and making it a trip of a lifetime!

This is our first backpacking trip and I was surprised how difficult it was to obtain a back country permit! I have been all over chat groups and community boards seeking any advice I can get! Most people agree that because we are going after "peak season"
we should be able to get our permit and a campsite fairly easy; if we arrive at the ranger stations early enough! It takes about 3 months to plan a trip like this and it is a lot process. We are still trying to decide which trails we want to go on and what sites we can't miss. I think the plan is to find a base camp for a few nights in a primitive spot and then spend a night or two in the backcountry. We will ease our way into backpacking this way.



All I know is this: I CAN'T WAIT!!



Yesterday was Mother's Day and I survived! It was a great day actually. We spent the morning at my mom and dad's house with two of my sisters, their husbands and kids, and my mother in law. I love it when we all get together; especially when we all get together at my parent's house.  It always feels like home. After breakfast we decided to take the dogs for a walk since the weather was so nice.
We loaded up around noon and drove up to Lava Butte- about 13 miles from home to an old cinder cone that erupted many years ago. It was a nice 4 miles walk around the lava beds and up the butte for a great first day of training for GNP!












Oh, geesh- I totally forgot to tell you about Mike's birthday weekend! Here is a photo recap of that amazing weekend!! We went to the Redwoods in California, Gold Beach, Oregon and then wine tasting in Southern Oregon.


Hwy 101 south of Gold Beach

We loved this beach!

Our favorite spot... The Smith River

Turtle love in the Redwoods (turtles are fertility good luck)

High in the Trees on the SkyTram

Awe, I love you, too!

The mountain men

Ha, Mike is wearing the same outfit as Paul!
Wine tasting at Fiasco Vineyards
The guy likes wines (sometimes)

Such a beautiful view! (the vineyard- not me!)

My amazing husband all vino-ed out



Have you ever been to Glacier National Park?

Have you ever been on an extended backpacking trip? 

Do you think a strong personality is a bad thing or a good thing-- or inbetween? 

10 comments:

  1. Yay for the much normal cycles! Do you think it has something to do with you losing weight. My cycle regulates when I am exercising and losing weight.

    I love all of your plans and I am so jealous of all of the beautiful scenery that you live relatively close to! I hate Illinois! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip sounds amazing! You have to leave the pups at home right? No dogs in the national parks...so stupid! The bday trip looks so fun! I have always wanted to go to a winery/vineyard. Its awesome you're cycle has been normal for two months in a row...I hope it continues to be predictable! I used to work with someone like your manager...it sucked! I would try to make small talk and she would just pretend she didn't hear me....so weird. Its definitely her bitchy personality not your strong one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these places are just beautiful!!!! I have never been wine tasting but it sounds like fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for normal cycles!!

    I'm very jealous of your trip to GNP. I have been wanting to go there for YEARS. While I have been out of the country a lot, I agree that the US is such an amazing place with so many things to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spent a day in GNP like 7 years ago. It was literally one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I was driving with my mom from Seattle to Colorado and it was one of our stops. I have always wanted to go back! You are going to have the best time!
    And there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a strong personality! Its something to be proud of actually!
    Good luck trip planning!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your travels are making me so jealous! Matt would never be up for these kind of adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the wine tasting pictures, regular cycles, strong personality and trip plans for Glacier!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous pictures!!! I'm jealous you have so many pretty places around you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personally, I think your bosses are mistaking strong personality for confident personality. You are not one to hold back if you are feeling something, which displays a sense of confidence in yourself and your beliefs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I think more people could use a little "strength" in their personalities. :) Looks like you and Mike have a fabulous summer ahead! I have never been to Glacier National Park but will live vicariously through you until we plan a trip like that someday. Backpacking and camping sounds SUPER fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was reading a book today for some personal/professional development, and there was a passage in there about the 2 kinds of people at work: achievers and Hiders. I am SURE that you are an achiever and I have a feeling that makes your manager feel intimidated and she wants to hold you back and squash your success because she might feel like you are a threat to her job. It opened my eyes and made me rethink a few instances at jobs where I encountered coworkers like your manager. Just keep on achieving!! Don't be a hider!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Be sure to leave some comment love!