Friday, November 21, 2014

Lab Work

For the past couple months I have been experiencing this sharp pain on my left ovary; similar to ovulation pain, but much more intense and consistent. My last cycle was 97 days long, and I started feeling the pain before our trip to Montana. It is a sharp, stabbing, twisting sensation and it often is noticeable in the sitting or bending forward position.

The pains started before Montana but I didn't pay too much attention to them (other than when I was experiencing them)- I was more concerned with my absent period and it's timing; I feared it would appear as we were camping, in a tent, in bear territory! Once we got home, and my period came, I figured the pains were related to my "ovulation", however, the pains continued through my period and have continued, even, on cycle day 53.

Last week, I decided it was time to take a look inside and see what was causing this pain; I feared it could have been a big cyst or a growth. I had labs done and a pelvic ultrasound and the tech actually found a freakin' 17mm follicle on my left ovary, unfortunately, it was CD 47! Today I got my labs back and this is what they read: (keep in mind: this is not a monitored cycle- this was only a draw to see WTF my body is doing....)

FSH: 3.6
LH: 11.1
TSH: 1.14
Prolactin: 13.66
T4, Free: 1.19
Insulin: 7.5

Radiology Report:
Last menstrual cycle: 9/30/14
Uterus: 8.2 x 3.6 x 4.3cm
Endometrium: 6.6mm
Right Ovary: 37 x 27 x 27mm (multiple follicles)
Left Ovary: 49 x 25 x 35mm (Follicles up to 17mm)

I was told that everything on the ultrasound looked fine; the follicle could be an ovulation cyst and that may be what is causing the pain, or maybe a follicle (probably not a good one) and my labs resemble a PCOS patient. I was told I could do two things: go on the pill to regulate my cycles or try Clomid or Femara again to help both regulate my my cycle and promote ovulation.

After talking to Mike, we aren't prepared to do either, we want a better option. There is no way we want to completely prohibit our chance to conceive by, no matter how unlikely it may be, taking the pill and I don't think Femara will increase our option this cycle if it didn't the 7 cycles before it.

Am I being ridiculous and jaded by thinking that?

Anyway.... what do you make of my labs, my ultrasound and my pain? Keep in mind, we were NOT trying this month and we sure didn't time anything to match up with that 17mm follicle.


8 comments:

  1. I totally understand you not wanting to get on BC or clomid/femera. I've been put on those and they made it worse for me to conceive. I've had PCOS since I was 16, but just found out 3 years ago I actually had it. Your labs actually look a bit similar to mine and the pain that you are experiencing because of the cyst sounds very familiar. Have you gotten tested for PCOS and/or Endometriosis? I hope that they find what is wrong. If you have any questions about PCOS, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm all over that stuff. Hoping and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even after all this time, I still don't know what all those numbers mean, except for the follicle size and lining. I do know that your lining should be at least an 8 for the best chance of conceiving. I'm with you on not going on birth bcp's. Don't prevent the what if scenario!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you're having pain! It makes me wonder if it's not just a follicle but some kind of cyst? I hope it resolves itself on it's own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't want to take the BCP's either. If it is PCOS could you maybe take metformin? I'm pretty sure they sometimes give that to people that have PCOS. I've heard it's also helped some people conceive. Either way I hope you find out what the issue is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of the Metformin - I have PCOS too, for years, and I've heard stories, ran into random women who have PCOS and are on metformin and have gotten pregnant. It doesnt hurt to ask your docotor about it. I'm hoping its that easy for me, gotta get my thryroid in check 1st.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on Metformin since my first RE visit...it hasn't seemed to help; in my opinion.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Be sure to leave some comment love!